Generally, a wheelchair is a chair that possesses a wheel. It is employed when walking is impossible or difficult due to injury, illness,or old age issues.
Also, an electric wheelchair which, also called a power-chair, is a type of wheelchair that uses electric motors and batteries for its operations. It comfortably allows independent operations for users.
Nevertheless, it has become part of the requirements to properly maintain most of all wheelchairs.
Meanwhile, some of the wheelchair parts may be replaced totally or repaired periodically depending on the wheelchair service providers’ instructions.
However, for you to get a high-quality electric wheelchair, you need to contact reputable and renowned electric wheelchair suppliers for the best option.
Here are few routine guides on some parts of the wheelchair:
The casters possess an essential effect on the functioning of the wheelchair. However, you should check your wheelchair by doing the following:
· Regularly check for shaking of caster wheel and slackness when driving the wheelchair.
· There should be a vertical alignment of the caster stem housing.
· Check for bulges, wear, and cracks on the caster wheels. Wear can cause destructively affect the stability and movement of the wheelchair.
· Caster vibration/flutter needs to be check. Fluttering is a term used in describing any fast vibration of the caster wheels. When the fluttering is in excess, it can make the wheelchair to work in an unwanted direction.
A situation like this can cause injure the user through a crash. To solve such problems, you need to contact electric wheelchair suppliers for a guide on repair and maintenance.
· Caster wheels can wear out quicker than the drive tires.
· During usual use, the bearings on a caster wheel can wear out. Issues concerning the bearings are recognized when there are grinding or clicking noises. Therefore, they require to be changed before final failure.
· This duty should be repeatedly performed once-a-month.
In some wheelchair, the anti-tip wheels can be positioned in the rear or front of the wheelchair.
When the wheelchair is in use and correctly aligned, if the wheelchair starts to tip forward, it is held by the anti-tip casters.
So, they have tendencies of helping to stop some tipping catastrophes. Therefore, protect the wheelchair anti-tips by:
· Regularly observe that the anti-tip wheels do not drag or squeak and are not loose.
· when wheels are loose, quickly tightening of any screws, until it is comfortable, using an open-end box end wrench or Allen wrench.
· Examine any possible wore out or cracks around the wheel.
· If there are any recognized problems, consult an expert on wheelchair maintenance for anti-tip replacement.
· This duty should be repeatedly performed once-a-month for the whole year.
Cushions are also one of the very essential components of the wheelchair, but the frame can last longer than the cushion.
The comfortability, clinical safety, and functionality of the user are determined by how well the body and cushion interact.
An increment in the risk of ulcer development can occur when the cushion deteriorated. Therefore, manage your cushion by:
· Search for zipper malfunctions or holes or tears in the or cover which may cause exposure of the cushion surface or make a furrowed sitting surface.
· Take away the cover so you can examine both cover and cushion.
· In a case where there is foam liner in the cover, search for flaking or tears in the foam.
There is a nonskid or Velcro surface at the bottom of the cover. Therefore, examine this surface for torn or worn Velcro or non-skid material breakdown.
The design of the cover is to guard the cushion, therefore it is supposed to be changed if damaged.
· After the examination of the cover, the contour and shape of the cushion need to be examined too. This can be done every week.
Signs to note on different cushions
There are several types of cushions, and based on any of this type, you need to search for some certain signs like:
Ø Keep the air cushion correctly puffed up, and examine that the valve is not leaking, and ensured it is in good shape.
Ø If you suspect any leakage, take away the cover and thereby insert the cushion in water to search for any leakage by observing bubbles.
Ø Correction can be done by using a rubber patching kit to patch a rubber air cushion like ROHO.
Ø When you are traveling through the air, the pressure usually changes, therefore, be very attentive to the cushion and ensure you always go along with the patch kit.
Ø If you have a cushion that is a gel cushion, rub the gel, every day, from the outside perimeter to the middle part of the cushion.
Ø Examine that there is no leak and the gel is not hard as well.
Ø When you possess a foam cushion, examine that there is no chipping or deteriorating in the foam. Ensure that it comes back after you press it.
Ø Check whether the solid seat is broken or not if there is one in your seat.
Are you in need of an electric wheelchair?
If you desire an electric wheelchair with high speed, automated, and can move through a long-distance comfortably, you can rely on our experienced and reputable company. Kindly contact us today for a good business transaction.